Forum, Here We Come!
Originally posted on the InterAction blog on 4/27/12.
When I realized a few months ago that this would be my fifth Forum as InterAction staff, I’ll admit it kind of blew my mind. It feels like only yesterday that I was starting here, just a few short weeks before Forum 2008. I had no idea what to expect then, but now it’s … well, I won’t say it’s “a breeze,” because we work our hearts out putting this show on every year, but now I at least know the challenges to expect.
For those of you who’ve never been to a Forum, you’re in for a great experience. We’ve got workshops on just about any topic you could imagine in humanitarian and development work, plenary sessions with incredible speakers, a fantastic group of exhibitors and some really fun side events, like the happy hour/scavenger hunt and the artisan trade fair.
If you’ve never been, here are some tips you might find useful:
- Bring extra business cards and inkpens. I inevitably run out of one or the other before Forum is over.
- Bring a luggage tag for your bag of materials you get at registration, and make it one you’ll easily recognize (mine’s a goofy purple daisy). We have over 1,000 attendees, and everyone’s bag looks alike, so this makes sure you grab the one with your notes and not someone else’s by mistake.
- For the artisan trade fair on Tuesday and Wednesday, not all the artisans take credit cards, so if you think you’d like to buy something, make sure you bring some cash, too.
- If you have an iPhone or an Android, we’ve created an app for Forum.
- Most importantly, bring lots of energy and wear comfortable shoes!
We look forward to seeing you next week. And remember, if you’re on Twitter, we’d love to hear your thoughts – we’re using the hashtag #IAForum.
- Posted in: Uncategorized